Enter and have the possibility of winning prizes as well as gain additional exposure for your writing. Please see below for details.
Please include your email address or some form of contact information with your submission. This information will not be posted with your essay; it is so we can contact you in case you win.
The essay must be written by you and it must be about something that inspired you on one of your travels. It could be about a particular place, a person, a country, a culture or any other number of things that may have touched you on your travels.
Possible topics could include: Adventure & Outdoor Travel, Arts and Culture, Backpacker oriented, Couples travel, Cultural, Destination focused, Eco Tourism, a personal trip, Food and Wine, Romance or Urban Travel.
Please fact check any relevant details prior to submitting
At least 775 words – no more than 5000 words. Up to two (2) essays may be submitted per person. Essays or blogs already posted on Dave’s Travel Corner are not eligible for this contest. Content published elsewhere that does not violate any copyright by posting them on Dave’s Travel Corner are eligible for the contest.
Thank you to our primary prize donors for this year’s travel writing contest: Eagle Creek for the travel luggage and gear- Like them on Facebook or follow on Twitter. And also Brinno for the specialized cameras.
The grand prize winner will be awarded
1. $200 sent by PayPal or Money Order
* 2. Eagle Creek EC Adventure Upright 22
3. Brinno HDR Time Lapse Video Camera
* 4. Eagle Creek Travel Adapter
* 5. Eagle Creek Money Belt
6. Griffin Technology Survivor Waterproof iphone 5s + iphone 5 case
7. One ChargeKey, Micro USB & one ChargeCard, Micro USB courtesy of Nomad Goods
8. One Bottle Tedeschi Family Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Vintage 2006 (Winner must be 21+ years of age)
9. Two travel books offered from a list
1st Runner Up will be awarded
1. $100 sent by PayPal or Money Order
* 2. Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender Bag
3. Brinno PeepHole Camera
* 4. Eagle Creek Travel Adapter
* 5. Eagle Creek Money Belt
6. Two travel books offered from a list
* The Contest is open to all participants but any Eagle Creek prizes can only be shipped to Canadian or USA addresses.
A collection of new and used travel books will be offered to all winners in the form of a list – each winner will choose two (2) books starting with the grand prize winner. These books will then be mailed to a provided address.
The prize winners will be listed on the main page of Dave’s Travel Corner – with links to their winning essays listed on the Journals section of the site.
Submit by Creating Account
1. Register: https://www.davestravelcorner.com/wp-blog/wp-login.php?action=register
Fill out your desired username and email and then click submit. Note. Spaces in usernames are not allowed. When logged in you, you can change your “display” name to whatever you like, spaces are ok there.
2. Check your email for the login link, your login name and randomly generated password (you can change this later) or login here: https://www.davestravelcorner.com/wp-blog/wp-login.php
3. Once logged in you will be prompted at the top of the page to edit your profile (also change your password) – when finished click on “update profile” at the bottom of the page
4. In left hand column, click “posts” and then click “add new”
5. On the page that loads, enter the following
– Add your piece into the body (copy it in is fine)
– On far right side – choose ONE appropriate category by checking the appropriate box
– Underneath the body, fill in the following fields: A. Focus Keyword B. SEO Title and C. Meta Description – (You can add the title of your piece into all three of these boxes)
6. Click the blue button on the upper right of the page that says, “Submit for Review”. That is it! We post your piece live typically within 24 hours.
Submit your stories by emailing your post along with any photos in a Microsoft Wordtm format to Editor
For manual submissions, please include your email address or some form of contact information with your submission.
We recommend a photo size no more than 600 pixels in width – and if you want the photos embedded within paragraphs we recommend a size no higher than 500 pixels in width.
Journals may be submitted to minor grammar and editing before being posted. We encourage photos to be included with your entry(s) but a lack of photos does not factor in the contest decision making. Note that 1000 pixels is the maximum width recommended for any uploaded stand alone photos or if photos are to be embedded within the content 500 pixels is the recommended maximum width. If no photos are included we may add one related photo.
NOTE: Submissions with links to commercial websites will either not be approved or the links will be removed. A link to a personal website is fine.
Any entries that are submitted and then approved for the contest will be posted on our Journals page. Once posted your essay remains your property – it will only be posted on our site.
Record your own Video! (Optional)
Record a video message to accompany your submission. Make it fun! It can be an intro about the topic of your post – it will be embedded in your post. Click to record your own, 300 seconds max. We will be notified of any video’s created.
Your essay must be submitted by August 1, 2014. Winners will be announced on Dave’s Travel Corner on September 1, 2014.
About Dave's Travel CornerDave's Travel Corner is a travel content, resource provider and community (founded 1996) providing travel Guides written about Dave's personal travel experiences and Journals, pages that contain trip summaries and experiences written by fellow travelers. We spotlight locations and attractions with an article linked directly from our homepage including content across our blog, photo and video galleries. We use a combination of social media, written content, photography and videos to promote locations. Not only does the content appear on this site but we have direct partnerships with other well visited travel sites for placement of the content. Since 1996, we have also established hundreds of relevant link exchanges with other travel sites.
Visitors to Dave's Travel Corner will also find thousands of travel related links organized by categories on the Resources Page, a Photo Gallery containing International travel photos, Book Reviews, and Product Reviews focusing on products useful for travelers, fully automated Forums, Tour Bookings offering over 4400 unique tours around the globe, Interviews with those making news in the travel industry and Videos - specializing in International travel videos as well as home of the Dave & Jim Show.
Dave's own travel blog is Above the Clouds which focuses on International Travel & Lifestyle.
For information on advertising please choose from a variety of advertising options here.
Contributors are welcome Learn how you can contribute About www.davestravelcorner.com/about