Journal Contributions, Submission Guidelines
Looking to receive some additional exposure for your writing and showcase your literary talent? Dave’s Travel Corner has built up a sizable following since it was founded in 1996. New posts will be promoted on a number of our social media outlets. Interested in writing more than one post over time – let us know – we list authors with multiple contributions on our Contributors Page.
Contributors are what helps grow content on our website – as well as provide additional exposure for your own writing. We started the site in 1996 and over the years have built a loyal following. We are looking for content typically from travel bloggers, print or online published travel writers or those interested in travel writing (you do not need to have been published before). Previously published pieces elsewhere are acceptable as long as you are the author and own the copyright to the post(s).
Without prior approval, posts about individual hotels, restaurants or other related businesses with links are generally not accepted (or are edited prior to being posted live) – pieces containing links to commercial websites or pieces promoting keywords fall under our Advertising information and will not be approved. Bio’s will be listed in your profile rather than included in the post.
We give priority to posts written from *first hand* experience. Submitted posts with generic photos linked from sites like Wikipedia and Flickr will generally not be approved. Posts from tour companies promoting regions with links to their tours and or websites also will not be approved.
Content that works well for us includes the following:
Arts and Culture
Engaging writing about a personal trip
Experiential type trips
Festivals (no one off festivals), annual ok
Food and Wine
Travel How To’s (transportation, tips, tricks)
Travel Photography oriented
Travel within the United States or Canada
Each submission should have at least 600 words – no more than 2000 words. If slightly under or over the minimum or maximum word count, that’s not a problem.
We strongly encourage photos to be included with your submission but is not necessary. -> NOTE: All photos need to be uploaded to your post rather than linking from another site. We highly recommend uploading photos with a width of approximately 1500 pixels. We recommend 3-5 photos per piece. When sending photos always err on the larger size rather than smaller as we can always resize as necessary. Tiny photos are not useful.
If you have a video you would like included with the piece, simply embed the code within your post from the site that is currently hosting it – or record one below!
One link back to an article within your *personal* website site may be included (a link to your main site will also show in your Bio). Other embedded links will be approved or disapproved on a case by case basis. Posts from independent writers or owners of non commercial personal travel blogs are given priority.
Submitted pieces may be reviewed for grammar and editing before being posted.
A brief biography can be listed under your user profile containing one link to a website (a link to your user profile will appear on the top of any post you contribute).
Submit by Creating Account
NOTE: we do not publish posts emailed to us (unless prior approval has been made)
Important: Please fill out as much of your user profile as possible – including your bio and any social media links. This helps identify new accounts as being real – accounts that have no bio will generally be removed in several days. Accounts using Gravatar service will automatically show the gravatar. Thanks!
1. Register: https://www.davestravelcorner.com/wp-blog/wp-login.php?action=register
Fill out your desired username and email and then click submit. Note. Spaces in usernames are not allowed. When logged in you, you can change your “display” name to whatever you like, spaces are ok there.
2. Check your email for the login link, your login name and randomly generated password (you can change this later) or login here: https://www.davestravelcorner.com/wp-blog/wp-login.php
3. Once logged in you will be prompted at the top of the page to edit your profile (also change your password) – here you can also add links to any social media profiles you maintain. When finished click on “update profile” at the bottom of the page
4. In left hand column, click “posts” and then click “add new”
5. On the page that loads, enter the following
– Add your piece into the body (copy it in is fine)
– On far right side – choose ONE appropriate category by checking the appropriate box
– Underneath the body, fill in the following fields: A. Focus Keyword B. SEO Title and C. Meta Description – (You can add the title of your piece into all three of these boxes)
6. Click the blue button on the upper right of the page that says, “Submit for Review”. That is it! We post your piece live typically within 7-14 days, although sometimes we do get backlogged with new posts and it might be several weeks (we like to give each post several days front page time).
Note: With your user account – you can also create photo galleries to be linked from the Photo section of our site. Click here for more information on how to upload and manage photo galleries.
We recommend photos sized in the range up 1500 pixels in width.
Record your own Video!
Record a video message to accompany your submission. Make it fun! Click to record your own, 120 seconds max. We will be notified of any video’s created.
Once Post is Live
We will promote your piece on a number of our own networks. There is power in numbers; be sure to also share it with your followers on prominent social media including Twitter, Facebook and StumbleUpon. Give the piece additional exposure through any of your other social networks. If someone comments – be sure to comment as well.
Once posted on Dave’s Travel Corner, your essay/article remains your property.