Some of these mining towns are relatively small so lodging is limited. Some of these hotels listed below are historic. The prices vary somewhat depending on the season. Prices subject to change without notice. Our readers often email us concerning a specific property. If we hear anything specific about a particular hotel we will be sure to mention it here. These towns are alphabetized.
All Phone Numbers unless otherwise noted are 209 area code.
- Angels Inn is rated 2 stars and is located at 720 South Main Street. They have 40 rooms and 2 stories. Microwaves and Refrigerators available in the rooms. Located almost across from the Angels Camp Museum and a fairly short walk into town. Pets welcomed upon prior approval. Phone Number 736-4611. Visit: www.goldcountryinnangelscamp.com
- Best Western Cedar Inn & Suites is located just north of Angels Camp – a fairly short walk to the Angels Camp Museum (about 10 minutes) and then not much further into the center town. Some rooms have whirlpool tubs and/or fireplaces. There is plenty of parking on site. Continental breakfast included with every stay. This property also features a gym, an outdoor pool and a hot tub. Website: www.bestwesternangelscamp.com
- Greenhorn Creek Resort is a two start hotel located just north of Angels Camp. Located on site of a Robert Trent Jones, Jr. re-designed golf course. Nice elevation because in the winter they are typically above the fog that sits in the Central Valley and usually below the snow line. As a result, year round golf is available. Located at 711 McCauley Ranch Road – a very short drive from the center of Angel’s Camp. CAMPS Restaurant located on site. Website: www.greenhorncreek.com Phone Number 736-8180
- Columbia City Hotel is rated 2 stars and is an historic bed and breakfast. It is located on Main Street. They have 10 rooms in this restored hotel built in 1856.
There are no phones or TV’s here. For more information call Phone Number (209) 532-1479. Visit this Hotel on the Internet at: www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=27907
- Columbia Gem Motel is rated one star and is located at 22131 Parrotts Ferry Road, one mile from downtown Columbia. They have 10 rooms and no phones. Phone Number (209) 532-4508.
- Columbia Inn is located at 22646 Broadway St near Columbia State Historical Park. Country charm, older 2-story hotel. Rooms are slightly decorated differently from each other. Outdoor swimming pool. Pets are welcome. Clean rooms, quiet rooms – a comfortable fairly affordable stay. Nothing fancy. Within walking distance of the Columbia theatre and several restaurants. Phone: (209) 533-0446
- Columbia RV Park is located at 21770 Parrotts Ferry Rd. Features hookups for RV’s. Small spaces. Within a short distance to Columbia State Historical Park. Phone: (209) 533-2395
- Fallon Hotel is an historic hotel. They have 14 rooms. They are located at 11175 Washington Street. Antique furnishings are original to each room. They do not have a pool. Website: www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28005 Phone Number 532-1470.3
- Yosemite Gold Country Lodge and Campground is located directly outside Coulterville (just west on Highway 49) slightly above the elevation of Coulterville. Address: 10407 CA-49.
An RV parking area is available. One of only two accommodation options in Coulterville. Offers basic accommodation in one story rooms. About a 15 minute walk to downtown Coulterville. Quiet. Outdoor BBQ is available. No website currently available.
- There really isn’t any place to stay in Greely Hill in the traditional sense of lodging (Coulterville has one hotel currently open and Groveland has several more options). You could camp east of town where a large fire burned several years ago. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property starts about 3 or 4 miles east of town (and we have seen some tourists get back on the road who had obviously been camping near the road for the night).
Another option is to camp or park your RV in the Yosemite Westlake Campground/RV site just outside of town on the way over to either Groveland or Yosemite – note that despite the name, this is is not in the immediate vicinity of Yosemite National Park but rather about a 40 minute drive to the nearest park entrance.
- All Seasons Groveland Inn is a small boutique hotel located at 18656 Main Street. They have 5 charming bedrooms, each with it’s own distinctive furnishing and decoration. Phone Number 962-0232. Visit: www.allseasonsgrovelandinn.com
- Yosemite Westgate Lodge is located at 7633 Highway 120 and has 55 rooms. They are rated 2 stars. This motel is a modern two story building. Guests of this hotel have access to Pine Mountain Lake Golf course. They have a pool. Phone Number 962-5281. Visit: www.yosemitewestgate.com
- Evergreen Lodge is a year-round destination resort offering 90 cabins in the woods, 15 custom campsites and the exclusive John Muir House. Note: despite having a Groveland address, this property is about a 45 minute drive from the center of Groveland. The lodge is popular with couples and families alike and features an amazing restaurant/tavern and a unique mix of guest facilities, guided recreation and activities. The property blends the modern comforts of a resort, the relaxed approach and activities of a dude ranch and the timeless warmth of a historic 1920’s lodge.
The Evergreen is a very special place, with more character than most any accommodation you’ll find. The lodge borders Yosemite near the Highway 120 park entrance – the most direct route from San Francisco. One other unique feature of this lodge that is they are a social purpose business: they also operate and self-fund a behind-the-scenes youth employment program.
For more information about staying at the lodge please visit: www.evergreenlodge.com
- Hotel Charlotte has 11 rooms. They do not have a pool. They are located directly next to Main Street in Groveland. They have a Sunday buffet. This hotel was built in the 1920’s by a lady who came to the United States from Genoa, Italy.
Rumor has it that during the prohibition days the Hotel Charlotte was a place to drink spiked coffee. Phone Number 962-6455. For more information visit: www.hotelcharlotte.com
- Groveland Hotel At Yosemite National Park is one of the 17 top antique inns in California. They are located at 18767 Main Street Groveland, almost directly across from Hotel Charlotte. The original Groveland Hotel was built around 1850.
It was modeled after the Larkin house in Monterey, the first American mansion in Monterey. For more information call Phone Number (209) 962-4000 or Phone Number 1-800- 273-3314. www.groveland.com
- Yosemite International Hostel It is rare to find a hostel in the gold country of this part of California’s Sierra Nevada. Rarer still to find a hostel of this quality. Located at 18605 Main Street on the edge of town, within an easy walking distance of the main part of town.
Shared or single rooms are available. An eatery on site. Sizable shared kitchen. Very reasonable rates especially compared to most other regional lodging options. Visit: www.yosemitehostels.com
- Jamestown Hotel is rated three stars and is a Bed and Breakfast. They are located downtown at 18153 Main Street. Part of the hotel dates from the 1850’s. This place will give you a real “feel” for the early days! Free continental breakfast included.
Dave has eaten here before. The dinners are excellent. Phone Number 984-3902. For more information please visit: www.thejamestownhotel.com
- Jamestown Railtown Motel has 20 rooms in multi story buildings. Very close walk to the historic downtown Jamestown as they are located on a side street from the Main Street (address: 10301 Willow Street). Also about a 10 minute walk to Railtown. They have a pool. Phone Number 984-3332.
Some rooms have whirlpool tubs. All have small refrigerators and microwaves. Plenty of free parking. Price for pets is additional. Visit: www.jamestownrailtownmotel.us
- National Hotel is located at 18183 Main Street in the heart of historic Jamestown. Buildings date from 1859. Very historic property featuring only 9 rooms. Each rooms well appointed with unique and fine antiques. Complimentary breakfast for all guest.
A unique feature is their soaking room. Like a modern day jacuzzi but in an antique claw-foot soaking tub built for two. A restaurant and the Goldrush Saloon are located on site. Weather permitting – patio dining is available. Visit: www.national-hotel.com
- Victorian Gold B&B is a wonderful B&B located at just one block from main street at 10382 Willow Street in Jamestown. (This B&B used to be called The Palm Hotel). Eight unique rooms available – each with a private bath.
- Best Western Yosemite Way Station is located at 4999 Highway 140. They are rated 2 stars and they have 78 rooms. They have 2 to 3 stories. There is a restaurant nearby. Phone Number 966-7545.
- Mariposa Hotel Inn is located at 5029 Highway 140. They are rated 2 stars and they have 6 rooms. This is a historic bed and breakfast. Phone Number 966-4676. Visit: www.mariposahotelinn.com
- Mariposa Lodge is located at 5052 Highway 40. They are rated 2 stars and they have 44 rooms. Phone Number 966-3607. Visit: www.mariposalodge.com
- Miners Inn is located in the heart of the town of Mariposa and is a perfect spot to stay for exploring some of Mariposa’s attractions and the area’s four wineries. Its within walking distance of the central part Main Street. When you pull in you might mistakenly think you are pulling into a shopping center as the entire hotel is set around a large shopping center looking parking lot. There is a small pool and hot tub towards the back of the parking lot. Hang out by this pool and chances are you will meet travelers from around the world on their way to explore the wonders of Yosemite National Park. The Miner’s Inn has 78 rooms as well as 8-10 custom suites all of which feature lots of space, a private fireplace, in-room Jacuzzi as well as a kitchenette. A gift shop and small restaurant are located near the main lobby. For more information and to make reservations, visit: www.yosemiteminersinn.com
- Quality Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway is located at 4994 Bullion Street. They are rated 2 stars and they have 28 rooms, some large. 2 stories. Phone Number 966-4344.
- The Monarch is located at 5059 Highway 40. They are rated 2 stars and they have 46 rooms. 4 stories. Phone Number 966-4288.
- Courtwood Inn is a bed and breakfast just outside the historic Gold Rush town of Murphys. It is a custom-designed cedar log lodge and is owned and run by USPTA tennis pros Chris and Larry Parker. Each of the guest rooms at the inn pay homage to professional tennis tournaments and its players. Courtwood Inn features spectacular views of the Sierra Foothills and the San Joaquin Valley. The inn offers a great room where guests can enjoy a beverage bar that is open throughout the day. There is also a happy hour each evening, where the owner pours local wines and appetizers. Breakfast is also served each morning where guests can enjoy a multi-course meal with fresh coffee. Two tennis courts are also currently under construction, where the owners will offer tennis camps, retreats, and lessons soon. Other wonderful amenities include luxurious linens, spa tubs, private balconies, and free wi-fi. Courtwood Inn is also just a short drive away from wine tasting and historic, downtown Murphys. For more information visit: www.courtwoodinn.com
- Dunbar House is a bed and breakfast located at 271 Jones Street just off of Main Street. They are rated 3 stars and a 2 night minimum stay is required. This hotel B&B was built in 1880. 2 stories and an attractive interior. Phone Number 728-2897. Website: www.dunbarhouse.com
- Murphys Historic Hotel And Lodge is located on 457 Main Street. This is a large building on main street. Supposedly his building is haunted by a ghost. Several famous personalities have stayed here. They are rated 2 stars and have 29 rooms. Website: www.murphyshotel.com Phone Number 728-3444.
- Murphy’s Inn Motel is rated 3 stars and is located at 76 Main Street on the north end of town. Walking distance to historic central Murphys. An outdoor pool is available. Phone Number 728-1818.
Opened in 1998 with 37 guest rooms. On the day they opened, they say a beautiful rainbow bestowed its colors arching directly over the hotel. Complimentary oreo cookies in the lobby. Two stories with plenty of parking on site. Visit: www.murphysinnmotel.com
- Victoria Inn is a luxury and charming Bed & Breakfast Inn located at 402 Main Street. Built in 1992 it was formerly known as the Redbud Inn.
Features elegant and quiet accommodations directly in the center of this historic downtown Murphys. Plenty of dining options within a short walk or consider eating at the on site V Restaurant bar & bistro. Visit: www.victoriainn-murphys.com
- Long Barn Lodge & Ice Arena has 32 rooms. They have a pool. Phone Number 586-3533.
NOTE: In December of 01 this historic Lodge suffered terrible damage due to a fire and and has since been rebuilt. Visit: www.longbarn.com for more information.
- Pinecrest Chalet Townhouses has 23 cottages and chalets. They are located extremely close to Dodge Ride Ski Resort. They even have a pool. Great spot to whittle away a week or more in the summer time. Very relaxing and quiet part of the state. Phone Number 965-3276. Associated with the Cal Alumni Association, UC Berkely. For more info visit their website: www.pinecrestchalet.com
- Pinecrest Lake Resort has 27 rooms. They do not have a pool however they are very close to Pinecrest Lake where you can pick from a variety of outdoor and water activities. Website: www.pinecrestlakeresort.com Phone Number 965-3411.
- Strawberry Inn is a beautiful hotel located among the pine trees about a mile north of the turnoff for Pinecrest. They have 16 rooms. They do not have a pool. Phone Number 965-3662. Please visit their website: www.strawberryinn.com
- Aladdin Motor Inn has 61 rooms and is located at 14260 Mono Way. Single, double, a mini suite and a full size suite is available. They have a pool.
Check their website for sometimes offered promotions often including ski or casino packages. Visit: www.aladdininn.com Phone Number 533-4971.
- Best Western Sonora Oaks is is rated 3 stars and is located at 19551 Hess Ave (conveniently located near the junction of Highways 49,108, and 120). This property features 2 stories and has 101 rooms. Complimentary continental breakfast is included for all guests.
The name comes from the old oaks that grow on and nearby the property. The onsite conference center can host up to 160 guests. Phone Number 533-4400.
- Bradford Place Inn and Gardens is a Bed and Breakfast rated 3 stars located downtown at 56 W. Bradford Street. Like the Barretta Gardens Inn this is a quaint Victorian. Phone Number 536-6075 For more information please visit their website: www.bradfordplaceinn.com
- Country Inn-Sonora is located slightly to the west of Sonora near the small town of Jamestown. Located right on the main highway – address: 18730 CA-108.
Rooms are simply/sparsely decorated with views of either the pool or nearby hills. WiFi is free. Flatscreen TVs in every room. Plenty of onsite parking. Phone: (209) 984-0315 or for reservations, visit: www.reservations.com/hotel/country-inn-sonora
- Gunn House Hotel has 20 rooms. They have a pool. This is a historic Hotel. Josphines restaurant is also located here. Website: www.gunnhousehotel.com Phone Number 532-3421.
- Miners Motel is located just east of Jamestown between Sonora and is rated one star.
A free continental breakfast is included as well as the use of a seasonal outdoor pool. Simply look for their sign with the grizzled miner staring down at all the gold in his gold pan. Family owned, clean, quiet and comfortable stay. Phone 532-7850
- Sonora Inn is located downtown at 160 S Washington Street in a prominent downtown corner location – prominent not only because of its location but also because of the size of this building. It was originally built it 1896 and was called the Hotel Victoria.
Several actresses have been attracted to this location during filming in the area including Grace Kelly during High Noon and Drew Barrymore while filming Bad Girls. Three stories of rooms. Completely renovated in 2012. For more information and to make a reservation, visit: www.thesonorainn.com Phone Number 532-24005
- Sonora Gold Lodge has 42 rooms and originally opened in 1937. Located at 480 W. Stockton St.
They have a pool, sun deck and hot tub. Complimentary breakfast. Also a horseshoe pit on site. Very reasonably priced. Website: www.thegoldlodgesonora.us Phone Number 532-3952
- El Dorado Motel has 11 rooms. Located at 22675 Twain Harte Dr. Features a seasonal outdoor pool and seasonal spa. Rooms come with a flat screen television, a microwave and a full-size refrigerator. Single rooms clean but sparsely furnished – simple accommodation. Phone Number 586-4479. Visit: www.eldoradomoteltwainharte.com
- Gables Cedar Creek Inn has eight charming, mountain rustic feel and very quiet cabins.
No pool on site although the lake in Twain Harte isn’t that far of a drive away. Address: 22560 Twain Harte Drive. Phone Number 586-3008. For more information visit their website: www.gccinn.com
- Lazy Z Resort has 7 rooms. They have a pool. This is a nice family owned Phone Number 586-1214. For more information please visit their website: www.lazyz.com
- McCaffrey House B&B Inn is a very fancy Bed and Breakfast – locally owned. This is a very good deal. Phone 586-0757. Please visit their website: www.mccaffreyhouse.com
- Wildwood Inn Motor Lodge has 21 rooms and their prices range from $59 to $79. They do not have a pool. Phone Number 586-2900. Visit: www.wildwoodinn.com
Leave a Reply