The following restaurants are located in the Lake Tahoe area. This list is only a small portion of the total restaurants in the Lake Tahoe basin so if you find your “favorite” restaurant is not listed here, please email Dave with your recommendation.
Major casinos usually have multiple restaurants. Dave has chosen to profile restaurants that he has either heard good things about or has personally at. He categorizes the restaurants according to cities located in the Lake Tahoe area. Prices listed below are for dinner only.
Prices are subject to change without notice.
All Phones are in the 530 area code unless otherwise noted. Locations are listed in alphabetical order.
is located on Tahoe’s north shore.
- Gar Woods Grill and Pier is rated three stars and serves traditional American food. They are located at 5000 North Lake Blvd. They are open from 10:30am to 10:00pm every day. Prices are $13 to $21. Dress is casual. Reservations are suggested. Phone is (530) 546-3366. Visit: www.garwoods.com
is located on Tahoe’s north shore just over the Nevada state line.
Note: Use the Nevada 775 area code when calling.
- Austin’s Restaurant is located at 120 Country club Drive #24 in the Country Club Mall across from the Hyatt Hotel. They serve very lunch and dinner. Be sure to try their delicious cornbread! This is a restaurant more known by the locals – not the tourists. They are closed Sundays except during July and August. Phone (775) 832-7778. Visit: www.austinstahoe.com
- Azzara’s Italian Restaurant is located at 930 Tahoe Blvd and is rated two stars. They are open from 5:00pm until 9:30pm. They are closed Mondays. Prices range from $10 to $17. Dress is casual. Phone is (775) 831-0346. Visit: www.azzaras.com
- Le Bistro Restaurant is an excellent French Restaurant. We are bummed that Le Petit Pier closed a few years ago but this is a worth while addition to the French dining scene at Tahoe. Visit: www.lebistrotahoe.com
- Thai Recipe – this excellent Thai restaurant opened in late 2003. The owner is a former professor at a university in Bangkok. She used to have a small restaurant in Reno, but when her customers told her they would like to eat Thai food in Incline, she obliged and opened this restaurant located at 901 Tahoe Blvd in a shopping center next to the 7-11. Many of the recipes are her own, and she prepares each dish by hand paying careful attention to nutrition and healthiness of the meals. The atmosphere is casual and the prices are quite affordable. For more information please call Phone: (775) 831-4777
- Spindleshanks is located just off the main highway on the edge of the Old Brockway Golf Course. The original restaurant opened in 2000 in a historic building in Tahoe Vista, but Lake Tahoe has absolutely little respect for its historical buildings and this was torn down (multiple instances of this occurring around the lake front).
The focus of the restaurant is on steak and seafood – nice setting, mountain lodge feel. Outdoor seating weather permitting is available overlooking the golf course. Phone is (530) 546-2191. Website: www.spindleshankstahoe.com
- Six Peaks Grille serves fresh seafood and steaks. They are located at the Resort at Squaw Creek which is at 1000 Squaw Creek Road. They are open every day from 6:00pm until 10:00pm. Reservations are accepted. Phone is (530) 581-6621. There are also other dining options available at the fancy Squaw Creek Resort – for all restaurants click: www.squawcreek.com/dining.php
is located near Tahoe’s south shore, in the state of Nevada. Again note the 775 area code.
- Eagles’ Nest Lounge and Bar serves American cuisine and is rated three stars. They are located 3 miles east of the Kingsbury grade at 472 Needle Peak Road. They are open from 11:00am until 2:00pm, and then again from 4:00pm until 9:00pm. They are closed on major holidays. Prices range from $9 to $17. Dress is casual. Reservations are suggested. Phone is (775) 588-3245. Visit: www.eaglesnestlaketahoe.com
- Evans American Gourmet Cafe is rated three stars and is located at 536 Emerald Bay Road. They are open from 6:00pm until 10:00pm every day except they are closed Sundays. Prices are $19 to $27. Dress is semi-formal. Reservations are suggested. Phone is (530) 542-1990. Website: www.evanstahoe.com
- Forest Buffet has been named one of the top restaurants at Lake Tahoe.
They are located on the 18th floor of Harrah’s. They serve American cuisine – all you can eat buffet. We have eaten here numerous times and always bring an appetite. They are open from 5:30pm until 10:00pm. They are closed Tuesdays. Prices range from $26 to $75. Dress is semi-formal. Reservations are suggested. Phone is (775) 588-6611.
- Fresh Ketch is located at the Tahoe Keys on the South Shore and has been serving up fresh seafood since 1988. The restaurant operates at the historic Camp Richardson Resort & Marina. Consistently this restaurant is one of Tahoe’s best seafood restaurants year in and year out. Their happy hour is always very popular. This restaurant has a great location almost lakeside right next to Camp Richardson’s bucolic lengthy sandy beaches. Visit: www.thefreshketch.com
- Heidi’s Pancake House is rated one star and serves American cuisine. They are located at 3485 Lake Tahoe Blvd. They are open from 7:00am until 2:00pm.
Prices for lunch are $9 to $15. They serve only breakfast and lunch. Dress is casual. Phone is (530) 544-8113. Visit: www.heidislaketahoe.com
- The Sage Room is rated three stars and is located in Harvey’s casino and hotel. They are open from 6:00pm until 10:00pm. Prices range from $22 to $56. Dress is semi-formal. Reservations are suggested. Phone is (775) 588-2411.
TAHOE CITY & VICINITY
is located on Tahoe’s north west Shore
- Chambers Landing Restaurant is located in Tahoma on Tahoe’s West Shore. They serve good food and are open to the Public. There is a public bar open about 1/2 way down Chamber’s pier. This is a great location to enjoy the wonderful views. They are open in the summertime only (late Spring – they are only open certain days of the week) They are famous for their Chamber’s Punch.
Whenever I visit this bar I see that many of the scantily clad young folks have obviously more than reached their alcohol tolerance. Once I was peacefully enjoying a White Russian when one of the scantily clad young ladies started to wobble and she fell down right at my feet. She started to flop like a fish on the pier and was quickly dragged (literally) away by several of her almost drunk friends. Many boats will pull up to the dock with beautiful people laying out on the hulls while classic Lake music blasts away from their boat speakers. Visit: www.chamberspunch.com
- Christy Hill Restaurant serves American cuisine and is rated three stars. They are located at 115 Grove Street. They are open from 5:30pm until 9:30pm, and are closed on Mondays and the first two weeks in December. Prices range from $22 to $37. Dress is casual. Reservations are suggested. Phone is (530) 583-8551. Web: www.christyhill.com
- Fire Sign Cafe serves breakfast and lunch. They were voted Tahoe’s number one breakfast. This is definitely true; this restaurant serves some of the best breakfast’s that I have ever had on any of my travels. Their omelets are exceptional especially the salmon omelet. Also be sure to try the awesome cape cod eggs benedict which includes smoked salmon and spinach. Some of their drinks are made from freshly squeezed orange juice. Ice tea is made from scratch on the premises. They smoke their own salmon. Outside dining is available in the summer if the weather permits. They are located two miles south of Tahoe City at 1785 West Lake Blvd and are open 7 days per week from 7am to 3pm. Lunch is also served here. This restaurant seems like it is always crowded. Sometimes the line snakes out their door and around the side of the building. I had the unique opportunity several years ago to have breakfast next to Kevin Johnson, (K.J.) the former Cal-Berkeley & Phoenix Suns basketball player, Mayor of Sacramento. He and several of his friends were doing some hiking in the area and were interested in local hiking trails. Phone (530) 583-0871. Visit: www.firesigncafe.com
- Jakes Lake Tahoe is located in the Boatworks Mall and features Continental cuisine entrees. A fan favorite, people visit Jake’s year after year, sometimes for generations. Great views of the lake on a warm summer or fall day. Can’t beat this spot!
They have fresh fish daily and offer lakeside dining and lunch. They are located at 780 North Lake Blvd. Call Phone (530) 583-0188. Website: www.jakestahoe.com
- Rosie’s Cafe is an institution in Tahoe City; this was originally a grocery store with food being served here since 1964. The current owner purchased the restaurant in 1989 – one of their bartenders has even been working here over 30 years! Known for their hearty breakfasts’s they also serve a variety of other dishes including salads, burgers, steak, pasta, seafood and vegetarian style dishes. Phone: (530) 583-8504 Visit: www.rosiescafe.com
- Tahoe House is rated one star and is located just south of Tahoe City on Highway 89 (625 W. Lake Blvd). This is a bakery and gourmet deli and advertises the best coffee on the lake. Phone (530) 583-1377. Visit: www.tahoe-house.com
is located on Tahoe’s north shore, not too far from Kings Beach.
None at the moment
is located on the great interstate 80 about 13 or 14 miles from Lake Tahoe either driving on Highway 89 or Highway 267.
- Bar of America offers up cocktails and food in their brick corner location (address: 10042 Donner Pass Rd in downtown Truckee).
Open daily for lunch and dinner. Weekend breakfasts. Also patio is available when weather permits. Live music every evening starting at 9pm, Thursday through Saturdays. Goods election of soups and salads, pizzas and a number of items from the grill. For more information or to make a reservation, visit: www.barofamerica.com
- Casa Baeza is located at 10010 Bridge St in downtown Truckee. Focuses on a variety of Mexican dishes including Chile Rellano and Quesadillas.
Not much decor. Can also sit at their bar. Check out their Happy Hour Margaritas. Located at 10004 Bridge Street. Phone: (530) 587-2161
- El Toro Bravo is located at 10186 Donner Pass Rd. Come here for the large burritos and margaritas.
Weather permitting, patio seating is available. Two house specialties are the Carnitas Plate and the Ground Beef Burrito. A full bar on site. Phone: (530) 587-3557
- Jax At The Tracks is located next to the train tracks in the downtown Truckee area. Enjoy your meals in a restored dining car. Food is priced reasonably, salads and hamburgers are the main lunch courses. Also breakfast is served all day. Located at 10144 W River St – Phone: (530) 550-7450. Visit: www.jaxtruckee.com
- Marty’s Cafe is located at 10115 Donner Pass Rd in historic Truckee. This chef owned cafe has been serving the Truckee community since 2012. Nie to have a restaurant like this in a small community run by a chef with an impressive resume. Conveniently named after the owner Marty Carlton, they serve affordable French-California cuisine.
Always nice to find a Los Angeles connection in Truckee – Marty started cooking in Los Angeles at age 15 and graduated from the Los Angeles Culinary School and worked in some top restaurants while there including Peninsula Hotel of Beverley Hills. Marty even prepared meals for President Bush Sr. and his wife Barbara.
Focuses on tasty cuisine using readily available ingredients.
Also note Marty’s Provisions, a Gourmet Food Boutique opened in July 2016 at 12030 Donner Pass Road. For more information visit: www.martyscafetruckee.com
- Moody’s Bar, Bistro and Beats is conveniently located in the corner of the Truckee Hotel at 10007 Bridge St. This cozy bistro serves a variety of seasonal American dishes. John F. Moody built the Truckee Hotel in 1873, the restaurant takes its name from Mr. Moody.
Interesting dishes include Spicy Octopus Crostone, Ahi Poke and a Maple-Glazed Pork Belly. Sometimes you can eat with live jazz music playing. Visit: www.moodysbistro.com
- Squeeze In is located in historic downtown Truckee at 10060 Donner Pass Rd B (right on main street). Known for their signature omelets + other breakfast items. Also serves lunch. Originally established in 1974 – now they are a regional chain with a restaurant as far away as Las Vegas.
Open daily from 7-2pm. Also serves lunch. Join their Egghead Club (Royalty Rewards program) which rewards frequent visitors. Visit: www.squeezein.com
- Trokay Restaurant is a more upscale restaurant offering innovative seasonal American cuisine. Located in historic downtown Truckee at 10046 Donner Pass Rd.
Offers a variety of cooking classes; some include how to make cheese, cookies, various seafood and even introductory kitchen classes. Worth checking out if you have a culinary bent and have some extra time in the Truckee/Tahoe/Reno region. Owners and chefs John and Nyna Weatherson have an impressive resume including at a 3-star Michelin restaurant in New York City. Visit: www.restauranttrokay.com
- Truckee Tavern Grill is located in the heart of historic downtown Truckee at 10118 Donner Pass Rd. Sophisticated yet rustic, this restaurant is centered around wood fire cuisine focusing on locally produced produce and meats.
An innovative cocktail program features fresh herbs and juices and sometimes their own recipes. In a historical nod to Truckee’s specific distilling heritage, artisanal small batch gin and whiskey are available. Also a decent wine list. Visit: www.truckeetavern.com
- Tahoma Market & Deli (formerly the PDQ) is located on the east side of the highway in Tahoma. A west side institution, especially for the locals – this market had a good deli. Sandwiches tend to be large – often a half sandwich is enough for one person depending on your appetite. Located at 6937 W Lake Blvd, Tahoma. Open from 630am to 10pm daily. Phone: (530) 525-7411 Visit: www.tahomamarketdeli.com
- West Shore Pizza is located on the west side of the highway on the west short in a small shopping center. Makes for a convenient stop – especially from all the nearby homes in this part of Tahoe. Besides a variety of pizzas, also selection of salads and sandwiches.
Their tagline is “if the ovens are hot, we’ll feed the lot”. Call ahead to place your order so that it is ready by the time you arrive. (539) 525-4771 Web: www.westshorepizzatahoe.com
Gary Lea says
How often is this site updated? I think Carlos Murphy’s isn’t there anymore. You might want to take a look.