San Luis Obispo has a diversity of lodging – perhaps more then other towns of this size due to two factors; it is a touristy region and because Cal Poly is located here.
Many of the properties are located on upper Monterey street and or in the south of town on Madonna Road. The cheapest lodging can be found during the middle of the week. Prices listed range from the lowest (the off season rates/single person) to the highest (holidays and weekends/ double person). In addition to what are perhaps San Luis Obispo’s most well known properties, the Madonna Inn and the Apple Farm, here are some of the other properties in San Luis Obispo.
Any prices listed below are subject to change without notice.
All phone numbers are in the 805 area code unless otherwise noted.
- Apple Farm great place to stop by even if you are not staying here – for both their gift shop and restaurant. We’ve been stopping by for years. Highly recommended jams.
Free shuttle to and from the SLO Airport or Amtrak Train Station. Heated outdoor pool and hot tub, wine socials in the evenings, drinks and plenty of parking on site. Offers a variety of unique and well-furnished comfortable rooms (105). Visit: www.applefarm.com
- Avenue Inn is located at 325 Marsh Street near downtown. Visit: www.avenueinnslo.com
- Best Western Royal Oak Motor Hotel. Phone number: (805) 544-4410. Rated three stars. 214 Madonna Road. Price: $79 to $150 Website: www.beachcalifornia.com/slobw.html
- Courtyard by Marriott is located in the far southern fringes of town just off of Los Osos Valley Road at 1605 Calle Joaquin. Be careful to turn onto Calle Joaquin and not onto the nearby 101 freeway entrance.
Features 4,000 square feet of meeting space, a lounge with a full bar and an outdoor heated pool and spa. About 4 miles drive to downtown San Luis Obispo and a short drive to both Avila Beach and Pismo Beach further to the south. Visit: www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sbpcy-courtyard-san-luis-obispo
- Embassy Suites by Hilton. Phone number: (805) 549-0800 Rated three stars. 333 Madonna road. Has AAA member discounts. Price $99 to $199 Lots of nice reasons to stay here – 2-room suites, free breakfast and an indoor pool and hot tub along with a 24-hour business and fitness center.
Located on the south side of the Madonna Shopping center – plenty of free parking on site. Nearby shopping and restaurants. Went through a significant remodel in 2016 and 2017. Can recommend a number of San Luis Obispo County wineries to visit.
- Garden Street Inn is located at 1212 Garden Street. This Victorian Bed and Breakfast features 9 guest rooms and 4 suites each separately named. The building dates from 1887. Decorated with a variety of antiques and other historical memorabilia. Breakfast prepared each morning and is served in the McCaffrey Morning Room. A small library on site. Great downtown location as is an easy and short walk to plenty of San Luis Obispo’s downtown restaurants.
Parking street-side is tight on Garden street – (there is a temporary parking spot in front for arriving guests). Guests can park overnight in a nearby parking garage. For more information visit: www.gardenstreetinn.com
- Granada Hotel & Bistro has a storied history. Located at 1130 Morro Street in downtown, the hotel was originally built in 1922. In the 1920’s supposedly rooms here were rented by the hour as part of a lively brothel. Great location – within easy walking distance of many downtown shops and restaurants.
The bistro is French influenced. Plenty of seafood, also cheese and charcuterie. Open for brunch and dinner. Both indoor and limited outdoor seating available. A stellar wine list including wines from around the world. Also known for their cocktails. Truly one of San Luis Obispo’s most charming locales. Visit: www.granadahotelandbistro.com
- Hampton Inn & Suites is located in the far southern fringes of town just off of Los Osos Valley Road at 1530 Calle Joaquin. Be careful to turn onto Calle Joaquin and not onto the nearby 101 freeway entrance.
Plenty of parking on site. Included with every stay is the use of their indoor pool and hot tub as well as the fitness room. Rooms come with a mini-refrig and a microwave. 84 guest rooms and suites on site.
- Holiday Inn Express. Phone number (805) 544-8600 Rated three stars. 1800 Monterey Street. Price $109 to $289
Conveniently located near Cal Poly – makes for a good stay for parents visiting children. Located a few minutes drive north of downtown. Every guest who stays here can enjoy a complimentary buffet breakfast. Like to catch up on news the old fashioned way? A newspaper is delivered to your door every morning. Website: www.pacificahotels.com/hieslo
- Inn at San Luis Obispo. Phone number: (805) 544-0973 Rated three stars. 1895 Monterey Street. Outdoor heated pool and hot tub. Complimentary breakfast. A refrigerator and a microwave in every room. Price $90 to $150. Plenty of parking on site and decent sized rooms. Website: www.innatsanluisobispo.com
- La Cuesta Inn is located almost directly across from The Apple Farm. This modern complex located on 2074 Monterey Street. They are rated three stars and their prices range from $89 to $179. (805) 543-2777.
Heated outdoor pool and Jacuzz. Free continental breakfast daily. Great location for those wanting easy access to Cal Poly. Website: www.lacuestainn.com
- Lamplighter Inn is located at 1604 Monterey St. An affordable option. Basic continental breakfast included with every stay. Apparently their staff doesn’t know much about the Napa Valley, not that they need to.
This property features 77 air-conditioned guestrooms – all of which open to balconies. Every room contains a refrigerator and a microwave. 3-stories. Visit: www.lamplighterinnslo.com
- Los Padres Inn is located at 1575 Monterey St conveniently located to Cal Poly and downtown. Only about a 10-15 minute walk to downtown.
Focuses on providing budget accommodations. sometimes they offer an online special discount code.
- Madonna Inn has immediate name recognition – especially with Californians who know this as a very unique establishment which makes for a nice stop when driving the 101 between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
There are a variety of rooms available – everything from the caveman’s room to the jungle room. The rooms are creatively designed – bring your camera. The men’s bathroom has large shells for sinks and green tile in the urinal. After going to the bathroom a waterfall of water cascades down from above. Often you will see the ladies trying to peek into this rest room.
The first twelve rooms opened in 1958. Today there are 110 uniquely designed rooms. Visit: www.madonnainn.com
- Motel 6 South is located on the southern edge of San Luis Obispo at 1625 Calle Joaquin (yes there is another Motel 6 in town, simply called Motel 6 North). This two story hotel is in a quiet part of town with very easy access to the 101 Freeway and a short drive from both Avila Beach and Pismo Beach.
Offers budget simple rooms – at reasonable prices depending on the time of year you are in town. Visit: www.motel6.com/en/motels.ca.san-luis-obispo.1373.html
- Motel Inn closed in 1991 but this is to historic of a hospitality property to pass up listing it here. It was the first property in the world to call itself a Motel – having originally opened in 1925 as the Milestone Mo-Tel. Today what is left of this motel is fenced off with chain link fencing – the original motel was built to resemble California missions – the ‘mission’ style 3-tower bell tower still remains along with the original lobby – the rest of the bungalows on this property have been torn down.
Recent plans call for redeveloping this site using a local developer founded by Mechanical Engineering Cal Poly graduates – incorporating the remaining building into the overall redevelopment (which calls for 52 units) The name of the new motel/hotel may change – we will update this review in the next few years once all the money has been sunk into this property and the phoenix rises from the ashes. A beautiful and rare piece of California’s history. Located at 2223 Monterey Street, right next to the 101 north Freeway on-ramp.
- Peach Tree Inn is located at 2001 Monterey Street and is rated 2 stars. They include a continental breakfast with your stay in their sizable breakfast room. Senior discounts are given. Price $49 to $150. (805) 543-3170
Cal Poly parents and or alumni take note and support this hotel – run by Cal Poly alumni who have lived in the area for 40+ years. Reasonably priced, they are located within a short drive of the Cal Poly campus. They pride themselves on their recycling here – 75% of all garbage created on site is recycled. Website: www.peachtreeinn.com
- Quality Suites more information coming soon! Phone number: (805) 541-5001. Rated three stars. 1631 Monterey Street. Has AAA discount. Focuses on spacious two room suites – Price $109 to $229
Each suite comes with a mini-fridge and microwave. Continental breakfast included – plenty of parking on site. Also they offer shuttle rides to and from the airport. Heated outdoor pool and a giftshop round out the amenities here. Can walk to downtown from here. Website: www.qualitysuitesslo.com
- Mission Inn. Phone number: (805) 544-7895. Rated two stars. 1951 Monterey Street. Price $59 to $119.
- Rose Garden Inn is located in the far southern reaches of San Luis Obispo at 1585 Calle Joaquin. This is a side dead end parallel street to the 101 – do not accidentally get on the 101 in your search for this property. Quiet part of town with several other nearby motels and Margie’s Diner (within walking distance).
Decent sized fairly recently remodeled rooms. Features an outdoor pool, courtyard and a decent sized spa. Two-story property.
- Sands Suites & Motel is located at 1930 Monterey Street. Continental parking and complimentary breakfast – or is it the other way around? Either way, both are included with a stay here.They are rated 3 stars and they have 70 rooms. Price $79 to $219. (805) 544-0500.
Convenient location within a very short drive of Cal Poly and or downtown. Go catch a movie at the nearby Fremont Theatre. Property features 70 rooms. Website: www.sandssuites.com
- Sunbeam Motel is located at 1656 Monterey St – not far from Cal Poly and downtown San Luis Obispo. Basic accommodations in a convenient location – for budget travelers.
They advertise “the price is right” on their sign in front of the motel- and it is. Each room contains a refrigerator and a microwave. Good value for the price. No pet policy. Quiet. Walk-ins welcome if they have space. For more information visit: www.sunbeammotel.com
- Vagabond Inn is located in the southern part of town at 210 Madonna Rd. They are located very close to the Madonna Inn (10 minute or less walk) and next to the Golden Gong Restaurant.
A mini-refrigerator and a microwave are included in each room. Complimentary continental breakfast (coffee, juices, muffins and pastries). Limited parking in their own parking lot. Easy and close access to the 101 freeway. Not far from the Sunday San Luis Obispo Swap Meet at the Sunset Drive-in Theatre. Sometimes specials or package offers are listed on their website.
San Luis Creek Lodge is located within easy access of the 101 freeway at 1941 Monterey St. Close to downtown and equally as close to Cal Poly.
Very unique Bed & Breakfast with three distinctive types of architecture featured in the three buildings on the property. Features 25 rooms in total – one of the newer hotels in San Luis Obispo. Very charming spot. Full breakfast included. Catch the free seasonal trolley into downtown – when offered, available Thursday through Sunday. Visit: www.sanluiscreeklodge.com
Leave a Reply