Mexico has always been a popular tourist destination, but when you combine its rich history, vibrant culture, and varied landscapes with the opportunity for visitors to experience all of this at such an affordable price, it becomes clear why Mexico is fast becoming one of the hottest destinations on Earth.
Here are a few reasons why Mexico should be at the top of everyone’s tourist list this year:
Historically Rich Region
Mexico is no longer just about resorts and beaches; there’s so much more than that.
First off – historically speaking – if people know anything about Mexican history (other than turquoise-eyed charros), they probably think of “Aztec pyramids” like those found at Chichen Itza.
Mexico is brimming with places where you can immerse yourself in history – from the fascinating Mayan ruins to colonial cities, UNESCO World Heritage Sites to old-school European architecture, and much more.
The food scene has exploded over the last few years as well – not only traditional Mexican dishes like tacos al pastor but a wide range of global cuisines that draw inspiration from different parts of the world (for example Middle Eastern sopes or Korean street food).
And then there are Oaxaca’s numerous markets, which are full of fresh fruits, vegetables, and plenty of things that aren’t exactly “edible” per se.
The point is this: if you love exploring new flavors and cuisines, Mexico is the place to be in 2022.
Full of Natural Wonders
But it’s not just about food and history – there are plenty of natural wonders to explore as well.
From the beaches and jungles of the Yucatan Peninsula to the snow-capped volcanoes of central Mexico; from the Baja California deserts to the lush rainforests of Chiapas and Oaxaca, there’s no shortage of landscapes to discover in Mexico.
If you’re into outdoor activities like hiking, biking, or camping, you’ll find no shortage of that here either.
Some interesting places to visit in Mexico are:
1. Isla Mujeres – a beautiful island in the Gulf of Mexico that’s perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and diving. Visit Mexico, Mexico’s official Tourism website offers a lot of great tips and information about traveling to Isla Mujeres.
2. The Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – home to the world’s most unique butterfly species.
3. The Roman Ruins of Teotihuacan – near Mexico City, these ruins are thousands of years old and offer a fascinating glimpse into pre-Hispanic history.
Some other less known places in Mexico that are great for exploring include:
1. Ixmiquilpan Market in Hidalgo State, where you can find all kinds of locally produced goods like candles or ponchos made from reeds or sheep wool
2. San Juan Chamula Church in Chiapas, which is famous for its ancient traditions including colorful religious ceremonies involving dancing and hallucinogens (yep. this isn’t something you see every day)
3. The Caves of Balankanche in Yucatan, which are a series of underground caves and passages chock-full of Mayan artifacts dating back to the 13th century.
Other popular tourist destinations within Mexico are:
● The Mayan Ruins of Palenque
● Teotihuacan Pyramids near Mexico City
● Tulum Beach on the Yucatan Peninsula
● San Cristóbal de las Casas in Chiapas, Mexico
● Taxco silver mines outside Acapulco.
Affordability With Convenience
Finally – and perhaps most importantly – traveling in Mexico is incredibly affordable compared to other destinations around the world. You can easily get by on a daily budget of $25 or less, and if you really stretch your dollars then you can do it for around $15 a day.
And if that’s not enough to convince people to visit Mexico in 2022, then we’d like to drop one final bomb in favor of Mexico- the ease of visiting the country. Mexico is easy to visit and Mexico visas are not difficult to obtain. The most you’d be required to do is fill out a health questionnaire but that also depends on the resort you’re staying at.
There’s so much more that could be said about Mexico – a country where you can experience history, nature, food, but also something else: the warmth and generosity of its people.
Overall, there are so many reasons why Mexico should be at the top of everyone’s list this year – whether they’re looking for a cheap holiday destination where they can enjoy themselves or simply love exploring new cultures and cuisines.
Susan Noel is an experienced content writer. She is associated with many renowned travel blogs as a guest author where she shares her valuable travel tips with the audience.
Leave a Reply